A mole is a benign pigmented tumor on the surface of the skin. In general, babies are not born with moles, but they do develop from early childhood to old age. Most moles are harmless and will never develop into a serious problem, but if you have many moles, it may be a good idea to have them checked by one of our specialists because there may be a risk of developing skin cancer. In cases such as this, skin mole removal is always a good option.
Medical reasons aside, many people choose skin mole removal simply because they don’t like the way they look. This is a major reason many people have them removed. Other reasons include the following:
• If a mole on the face complicates shaving, having it removed will solve the problem of accidentally shaving it off or continuously trying to shave around it.
• While there are a few places on the face such as above the upper lip or on the top of the cheekbone where a mole can be an attractive feature, most people consider moles on the face as something to be covered with makeup. Many dark moles on the body or prominently placed moles can have a detrimental effect on the person’s self-esteem. Having them removed may make smooth, clear skin possible.
• Some moles that are on the arms, neck, back or chest can interfere with jewelry. The jewelry may repeatedly rub against the mole, causing it to become inflamed and painful. Jewelry may even tear off the mole, causing profuse bleeding and the possibility of infection.
• Moles may be in places in which they are regularly rubbed and remain in a constant state of pain. This could be on the scalp or in the crease of the leg or underarm.
• Medical concerns are possibly the most important reason to have moles removed. If the mole starts changing shape or color, it could be a warning that it may turn cancerous. If you have a mole that undergoes changes, contact our office to have it examined.
During a consultation with our skin specialist, your moles will be minutely examined. If a biopsy is required, a test will be made to determine if there are any problems. If one or several moles need to be removed, our specialist may discuss several skin mole removal options. We will go over each of your options in detail with you and help you choose the best one for your needs.
If you or a loved one has a mole that seems to be changing size and color, we recommend that you have it tested as soon as possible. While most moles are harmless, it is better to be safe than sorry if there is any doubt. Skin mole removal can provide you with peace of mind that you are taking every step possible to properly care for your skin. At Integrated Dermatology of Coral Gables, we can help you learn more. Contact our office in Coral Gables to schedule your first appointment.